qualified critic gives arits review

(okay so i was at glimun the last week and my brain is broken; therefore this post is boring and i'm just tryna get that 10/10)

Beneatha is arguably the best character in the story. She actually stands up to Walter, and may I say that he SUCKS, has her own personal passions and interests in things that she's not supposed to, wants to discover more about her lost culture, and knows that she's worth more than some bums who don't like her haircut!!!!! When Beneatha goes out with Asagai and then he reveals his True Clown Nature, roasting her for caring about civil rights and such, I really Vibed, because it just shows how misogyny is literally everywhere :) 

At first, I tried to keep an open mind about Walter. It is understandable for a person to want the best for the lives of their family. While the liquor store investment idea was pretty stupid, he was still actively trying to improve their quality of life. I think Walter makes rash decisions and has such a quick temper because of the way his life played out. I have a feeling that getting married and starting your family pretty quickly after you become a legal adult results in some roughness. He's essentially still a child, with his general saltiness about literally anything that occurs, and his irresponsible investment choices.

I don't think it was very uncommon for people to get married young in the 50s/60s, but I also don't think that it was very enjoyable either. I don't know why I find it hard to believe that people married for love in The Olden Days (the 20th century). A lot of girls probably married blindly to soothe the pressures from family and ensure the one thing that girls were allowed: domestic life. Which explains why Ruth was always so bland?? I don't think I saw her do anything in the movie besides iron clothing and yell at Walter. She literally did not smile or laugh until Mama bought them that house. I feel so bad for that woman, y'know since she has no personality, but like dang sis why can't you be like your sister in law a lil' bit?? Have SOME passion. It was actually so sad when she got all excited about holding hands with Walter, I think that really proved about how they don't love each other anymore :( 

My message for the Younger family is to ditch Walter and then have extra room in the house. 


Comments

  1. LUNA IM CRYING YES. also my brain is also brokenn from glimun too yesssss. I feel like Beneatha is someone I would want to befriend right now. Her wanting to learn more about her culture + her defying patriarchal stereotypes is so inspiring, she feels like someone ahead of her time. I honestly feel so bad for Ruth too. Girl is doing the best she can and honestly I don't know how she doesn't go off on Walter more.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Some ponderings on freedom

knock it off

altering a public space