knock it off

seed: stuff that makes me laugh for no reason

While we were discussing the personalized obscurities of comedy this week, I kept thinking about this one particular video that fit very well with my sense of humor. I think this music video could be classified as low burlesque, because basically every major societal issue is treated with mock respect. The lyric, "you better f*****g knock it off, ISIS (ooh ooh)", makes me want to scream simply by reading it. This, combined with the composition of the song and the emotional beach scenery in a boyband esque fashion really ties the whole satire together. For the sake of the assignment, we all know that simply chastising an international terrorist organization will not stop the organization in question from "doing bad s**t". Personally, I find stuff like this to be really funny because I find joy in making fun of other people's ignorance. This video does just that because not only does it provide commentary on how these problems cannot be simply solved, it also mocks people who genuinely act like this in real life and believe that they are doing something. It also makes fun of the airhead personality type by describing world peace as "savage", which is not only an understatement but also a strange choice of words for the severity of the subject. While we're on the matter, "savage" in modern terms also comes from AAVE. This particular lyric, though it may not have been considered at this angle during the writing process, makes me think of a white kid named Kyle who adopts words he reads on the internet (aave) while trying to be a philosopher in the way the song pokes fun at. All in all, I think this video is funny because it makes fun of people who are generally oblivious, which also gives the reader a bit of a superiority complex in matters of being well-informed. 




Comments

  1. I also very deeply connect to the line where famous youtube comedian cody ko tells IS*S to knock it off. thank you for sharing Luna, I like noel better though.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Some ponderings on freedom

altering a public space